Work starts on £28m plan for former pub site
Work to build 32 council houses on the site of a former Wolverhampton pub is set to begin, part of a £120m regeneration scheme earmarked for the north-east of the city.
Planning permission for the former Duke of York in Heath Town was granted last year, with a residential scheme set to be built out by Keon Homes on the Inkerman Street site, which has lain vacant for the past two decades.
The project will form part of the second phase of the area’s regeneration, a plan which will see 120 homes build across five derelict sites in the area.
The first phase of the project saw 40 new council houses built across sites on Hobgate Road and Tithe Croft.
Keon Homes’ managing Director Richard Williams, who is set to speak at the Housing Delivery Showcase at UKREiiF on Tuesday, said the scheme combined “modern delivery methods, strong stakeholder collaboration and a focus on social value” – which he said was part of the company’s formula for unlocking difficult regeneration sites.
“It underlines our capability to scale regeneration programmes across multiple sites under framework agreements, with this latest one following the start of ambitious projects at New Park Village and Lincoln Green in Bushbury,” he said.
“UKREiiF is the perfect place to highlight what we believe is a blueprint that could be replicated across other towns and cities facing similar housing and regeneration challenges.
“Phased regeneration, mixed housing needs, accessibility, community-focused design and long-term partnership is working in Wolverhampton and supporting a local authority in accelerating housing delivery while creating lasting social impact.”

